Christmas 2013

Posted by Amy Evelyn Oden , Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:32 PM

For the first time in our marriage, we got a real Christmas tree this year.  As an Oregonian accustomed to $10 trees on every corner, I have balked, scoffed, and turned my nose up at the $40+ trees available in California.  But something about California slowly breaking down my defenses or wanting Vianne to experience this joy of Christmastime, or whatever it may have been, we bought one this year.

And, what do you know, it hailed from Mulino, OR, one town over from my hometown.

Despite the nausea plaguing me this season, I made my traditional gingerbread, and some of Mom's Rocky Road...but that was it for "baking".
2013 Christmas Card Photo: The One That Turned Out (I didn't even have to photoshop in heads like last year...)

 On Christmas Eve, we went to the lovely service at our church, and Vianne wore her adorable dress from Rachelle & the boys.
The service is mostly music, to Vianne's delight.  When the first song was over, she said, "More songs!"  She did pretty well sitting through the service, only had to lap the halls a couple of times, but by the end, she was ready to dance.  She's a bit of a Pentecostal Nazarene.
 We had a fun Christmas morning!  Vianne enjoyed opening gifts (loves tearing paper) and was equally delighted with each one.





 Blurry but adorable :-)
For the afternoon, over the river & through the woods, to Vianne's grandparents house we went - up to Lake Arrowhead.  We had a delicious lunch at the Saddleback Inn.  I am still thinking about this Double Crusted Pork Chop with Red Wine & Pear Sauce - oh my gosh, SO GOOD.
 Patrick enjoying the Jenga Ribs (also amazing!)
 There was a little patch left at the house so Patrick introduced Vianne to snow!




 Family shot on the deck (gorgeous day!)

 Time for presents


 Vianne's first time eating one of my gingerbread men :-)
 She made sure everyone else was opening their gifts correctly...



It's true what they say: kids revive Christmas for the adults.  Vianne reveled in every aspect of the season and is still (in late January) asking where the Christmas tree is and wanting to watch "Bob and Yarry Tristmas" DVDs.  She brought so much joy to us all, in addition to the inherent, immense joy of celebrating Jesus' birth.  A little break from present-opening to sing & dance in praise...:-D

1 Response to "Christmas 2013"

Marie Says:

Yes! Vianne added so much joy to our Christmas celebration that I may even relent and get a Christmas tree in the future! Her singing and dancing so reminds me of our Redeemer saying: Out of the mouth of babes and unweaned infants You have made perfect praise...This video of Vianne is too wonderful and I relive the joy!

Post a Comment