January 3, 2014: Our Fifth Anniversary

Posted by Amy Evelyn Oden , Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:51 PM

On the morning of our fifth anniversary, I told Patrick I had something for him...and I sensed the brief moment of terror, as we had never done anniversary gifts, and had reconfirmed we weren't doing them this year.  Well, it wasn't a gift per se, just a little tune I'd composed in the prior months, and managed to (hastily) record in (my few) solitary moments...


We were up in Oregon for New Year's so we took advantage of my mom's very capable grandkid skills and her generosity and braved our very first overnight (well, my first overnight) without Vianne for a lovely time away in Forest Grove, OR, at McMenamin's Grand Lodge.  (Vianne apparently did great, and I didn't do too poorly myself.) 




We had the Mozart room, very charming...
...king-sized bed with a private bathroom...
...well, private to the rest of the hotel, anyway...
...and a gorgeous view!
 The "Romance Package" awaited us in the room, though due to my pregnancy, we saved the champagne for sometime this fall :-), and the chocolates until the nausea goes away (still waiting...).
 
  For the afternoon/evening, we enjoyed a relaxing stroll around the grounds...
...drinks and the must-have tater tots at Pat's Corner...
..another stroll around downtown Forest Grove, though a little too late to see anything, and then back to the hotel for a lovely dinner.  

Even more lovely, though, was the breakfast we had at the same place the next morning.  Who knew McMenamin's had one of the most incredible breakfast menus around?  Not us!  We were floored (and I sure wished I was feeling better).  I (still) enjoyed the Brioche French Toast and their delicious coffee, while Patrick indulged in the Chicken Fried Steak with eggs and these fabulous biscuits that were like croissants and possibly the closest thing to heaven on earth.

We took another leisurely stroll around the grounds, cameras in hand...

Woke up to a frost-covered wonderland


Posing under our window (top center)




Blessed with this gorgeous view of Mt. Hood for 10 or so miles of the way back!  Softened the blow of returning to normal life :-).

1 Response to "January 3, 2014: Our Fifth Anniversary"

Lem the artificially intelligent Says:

Congratulations on your anniversary. Wishing you many more.

Post a Comment